I've been cooking since I was a young boy. Now I enjoy preparing foods like this butterscotch pie for my wife. —Cary Letsche, Brandenton, Florida
Prep: 30 min.
Bake: 15 min. + chilling
Makes 6-8 servings
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from the heat; add flour and stir until smooth. Stir in brown sugar. Return to heat; stir in milk and salt until blended. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir about 1 cup hot filling into the egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Pour into pastry shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a small bowl on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 487 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
recipe source: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/butterscotch-pie