KILLER VEGAN CHILI
KILLER VEGAN CHILI
It’s hearty, spicy and packed with slow-cooked flavor! A great source of fiber, vitamins, nutrients and vegan protein.
Killer Vegan Chili - hold on to your soup spoons, 'cause this is some killer chili. It's hearty, spicy and packed with slow-cooked flavor! A great source of fiber, vitamins, nutrients and vegan protein.
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 1/2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika (smoked if you have it)
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 Tbs cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbs no-salt herb seasoning, any brand or variety
- your beer or stock/broth of choice (12 oz. beer or 1 1/2 cups stock)
- 2 c chopped bell pepper, any colors
- 1/4 - 1/2 chopped poblano pepper (use more for intense heat)
- 2 15 oz. cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 15 oz. can no-salt-added petite diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbs maple syrup
- 2 Tbs low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 4 c water
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/3 c uncooked quinoa
- 3 c cooked black beans (or 2 15 oz. cans, drained and rinsed well)
- 1 1/2 c crushed walnuts
- 2 c fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Toppings like fresh cilantro, avocado or vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- Add the oil and onion to a large, lidded cooking pot. Saute the onion over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, basil, chipotle powder, cumin, oregano, pepper and no-salt seasoning. Add a few splashes of the beer/stock to deglaze the pan and simmer 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat slightly and/or add more if the spices are burning at all.
- Stir in the bell and poblano peppers and the rest of the beer. Simmer about 7 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes, maple syrup, soy sauce, salt, liquid smoke and water. Loosely lid the pot and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the lemon juice, quinoa, black beans, walnuts and corn. Reduce the heat to medium low, lid the pot and simmer about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add enough water to make it the consistency you like as you need to.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.